Sunday, July 29, 2012

23 july-26 july


23 juillet

Today was a super lax day.  Marzia and I met at the manier to have our weekly planning session with Veronique.  We set up appointments for the week and then went to a bakery to get lunch where I had a tomato and mozzarella and pesto panini.  That afternoon, I called several people to check in on them and see how they were doing.  I talked to Madame Daumas for a while who just loves to talk and talk and talk and talk and talk.  Then I talked to Madame Hernandez who is always listening to classical music and reading good books to keep herself company out in her isolated maison de retraite.  She’s the one that has had alcohol problems and so they have put her somewhere with no stores around.  We talked about music and books that we both liked.  Veronique gave me instructions for the next few weeks since she is leaving on vacation tomorrow.  It’s crazy that I’m almost done here!  I’ve got one more week with Marzia, then a week and a half with a Polish girl, then a half a week in London for the Olympics, then just one week after that and I’ll head to Paris and then fly back home!  Craaaazy!

After work, I went to Rue St Ferreol and wandered around some shops.  I walked through a kitchen appliance store that had some unique stuff that I wanted to get for Alison but it was all like at least 20 euros.  I also walked through some toy stores looking for stuff for the kids but there wasn’t really anything uniquely French that the kids would like.  I’ll have just to stick to my plan of getting them lots of chocolate, which I’m sure will suit them just fine! 

I went to Virgin, the big media store and bought some French music.  Several of the people I visit have recommended this group called Les Pretres to me.  It means the preachers and is a group of 3 catholic priests from Gap, France that sing together and give all of the money made to charity.  They have written gospel lyrics to famous melodies (ex. Swan Lake theme) as well as a neat mix of African, classical, and contemporary in all of their other songs.  The CD is called Gloria, but I doubt it is on iTunes so I will share it with yall when I get back.  I especially think Robert will like it!  I also bought a CD of the French group called Coeur de Pirate.  Also, I found a 3 CD set for 7 euros of “Café songs of Paris” that has lots of old classic French songs which was a treasure find.  Quality purchases!  I may or may not have also bought another pair of shoes on my walk home…but they were cheap and cute!


24 juillet

Today Marzia and I went to visit Madame Bardini..but she wasn’t there.  So we headed to visit Monsieur Jullien who we talked to for about 15 minutes and the whole time he was falling asleep in front of us then waking back up.  So we let him go rest since he said he was really tired and because it’s quite difficult to carry a conversation with someone that is going in and out of consciousness.  So it was a bit of a fail morning.  Marzia and I went and got lunch and then took advantage of our unproductive morning by taking a 1 hour siesta at my apartment.  Then we went to visit Madame Baraboti.  It was her birthday today and so we brought her a celebrity gossip magazine that she had mentioned wanting to read on an earlier visit.  She told us about her son that called her for her birthday and her daughter that was too busy to call.  We dialed the number for Mme to call her sister in Italy who is sick with cancer right now.  The phone call dampened Mme’s spirits so we tried to cheer her up and get her mind off things.  Next we helped her pack her suitcases for her vacation that she is leaving on tomorrow.  She sat in her chair and told us what she needed and where to find it.  I remember when I felt really awkward around old people and with knowing about their daily habits and personal lives but that is all gone now.  I realized afterwards that maybe it should have bothered me to be going through her underwear drawers and packing her sleeping diapers.  But they’re humans too and we’ll all be like that sometime.  We are no better than them! 

Then I headed over to the hotel where Jared leaves to meet up with them to then meet up with some JAs (YSAs) for an excursion to the Calanques.  There were 7 of us that went together.  We took the bus to the end of the line which took us out of Marseille or at least to the very edge of the city.  It took us about an hour to hike down to the Sormiou calanque where we were.  A calanque is basically just an inlet of water that forms a natural bay/harbor/dock area in between huge cliffs/mountains.  The view was spectacular and the water was crystal blue with varying shades of blue as you looked into the calanque.  I had been told that water was super cold but nothing prepared me for the icy shock that I felt as I plunged into the water.  Oh man it still gives me the shivers to think about it.  I came up for air and just kind of screamed at how cold it was!  We swam over to a big rock area thing and my toes felt numb as I clumsily climbed up onto the rock.  After I had gotten up on the rock, I learned the word for sea urchin as someone warned us about them being everywhere!  We basked in the warm sun and got some blood recirculating in our bodies.  Then Jared and I decided to jump off this kind of really high area of the rock into the water.  We counted 1-2-3 to jump in together….and then Jared chickened out and I jumped in alone!  He followed me soon thereafter but I made sure to make him feel really bad for leaving me.  Then we had the bright idea to swim around the entire huge rock thing.  Man it was a lot bigger than it looked when we were in the water.  It was slightly exhausting but was fun nonetheless especially with the incredible view.  I had worn glasses that day and so was slightly blind in regards to far away objects and so had to have Jared explain to me what the black blob in the distance was that ended up being a flag on a buoy.  I also found out that Jared is deathly afraid of sharks and so I’m glad there are apparently none of those in the Mediterranean…or so I’ve been told, and I’ve chosen to believe it.  We were quite exhausted and frozen after swimming around the rock and so we got up on the rock to rest a bit before swimming back to shore.  But oh man, our feet were frozen and our muscles were tired.  Jared’s legs just started trembling and wouldn’t stop because they were so exhausted and cold.  We warmed a bit, but Jared just kept trembling.  We decided to get it over with and plunged back into the cold water and made it to shore where my towel felt like the warmest thing I had ever touched.  We saw some cute little crabs on the rocks!  But luckily, no sea urchins.  The hike back out was a bit painful since we were climbing uphill this time.  My legs felt like they wanted to fall off…but we made it back all safe and sound and caught the bus back into town.    


25 juillet

I hope you are noticing my deteriorating English…I went back and read some of my journaling from the beginning of the month and marveled at my flawless sentence structure and large vocabulary.  All my sentences are now formed in the order of a French sentence and it takes effort to rewire them to correct English sentence structure.

So Marzia, as an adopted Spaniard is quite lazy as it is the culture over there.  You think French people are lazy…just talk to a Spaniard about their daily schedule.  And it is kind of really rubbing off on me.  Marzia groans when there are stairs rather than an escalator coming up out of the metro…and so do I now.  Anytime we have to walk up a hill to an apartment building, we have to take a rest in front of the apartment building for 5-10 minutes to rest and for Marzia to smoke a cigarette before we go in.  During our lunch break…a little siesta nap is quite necessary even if it is in the shade of a tree in a park.  And so today was a manifestation of my increasing laziness in accordance with Marzia.  We didn’t set our first appointment until 11:30…and we got there at noon.  These elderly people are usually just sitting in front of their tv all day so it doesn’t matter much if we are late or early.  We stayed at this lady’s house from 12-1 and then went and bought some food and lounged in a park for an hour.  Then we went to this gentleman’s house and talked to him for an hour.  Afterwards, we went to Mme Elena’s apartment and she wasn’t there and so we got on the bus and were done with work at 3:30!  But we get to make our own schedule every day so I guess we just like to concentrate all the visits together. 

Our first visit was with Madame Graziani.  She was in better spirits today than we usually find her.  She even joked around and teased us a bit which was happy.  I had brought more batteries for her handheld fan but she had lost the little cap that goes on the end of the fan to hold the batteries so we searched for that and weren’t able to find it…but she said she would keep looking for it.  She watches tv a lot and so I found the London Olympic opening ceremonies in her tv guide book and let her know what channel it would be on and what time it would start.  They start at 20:50 this Friday night here!  I have since been trying to figure out where I could watch it…no success yet, but I’ll figure it out. 

Our next visit was to Monsieur Giacopino who we had never visited before.  He is like 80% blind but is healthy besides that.  He is 90 years old and has never been married, never had children.  He apologized for how dirty his apartment was because he couldn’t really see it well enough to clean it and he had house help come and clean twice a week.  He just talked and talked and talked which is I guess what he needed.  He showed us pictures of a little chateau that he went and stayed at when he went on vacation with les petits frères.  He also talked about his relationship a couple of years ago with an elderly person that was looked after by the petits frères organization in Toulon or Toulouse…I don’t remember which one.  It was quite a dramatic story filled with jealousy of her ex-husband and her not believing that he had never been married before.  I’m sure there were happy moments of their relationship…but we mostly heard about the not pleasant break up. 

Sitting at the bus stop, Marzia and I were lamenting over how we missed having Maxime with us.  We just have so many memories working with him and so it’s weird not having him there!  We called him and left an annoying we miss you message on his phone.  He texted us back later that night and said « Marzia tes retard me manque (un peu) Melissa cest ton nez (et tes valeurs aussi). J’espere que tout va bien et que vous apportez toujours autant de bonheur aux gens. Bisou ! »             Which roughly translated is: “Marzia, I miss your tardiness (just a little bit).  Melissa I miss your nose (and your values too).  I hope that all is going well and that you’re bringing as much as always to people.” 

Oh Maxime, always being so awkwardly frank!            

Getting home was a bit of a process because the subway line I was on got closed down for a while so I had to make a detour and take the tram home instead.  The tram went by the Reformes metro stop and there were a bunch of ambulances, police cars, and such.  I asked the missionaries about it when they happened to get on the tram a bit later and they said that someone probably jumped into a metro track or fell in…apparently that happens every few months since there are no glass doors in front of the tracks. 

A funny thing about the Subway here is they only have one cheese option…and in America there are several.  You’d think it’d be the opposite. 


26 juillet

Today started out with a lunch for all of the summer international volunteers.  We first sat in a circle and talked about issues or problems we had run into throughout our visits and discussed possible solutions.  It was interesting to hear some of the other people’s stories.  One volunteer companionship had gone to this guys house where there were cockroaches allllll over the apartment and all over the walls and furniture…the one girl could not handle it and got up and left…scary.  Jared said that he visited a woman that hadn’t been out of her apartment for 4 years and so he took her out in her wheelchair and they walked around her neighborhood and she was so excited to see what had changed in those 4 years.  Marzia and I brought up our issues of people not wanting to see us when we get there or forgetting about the appointments we’ve made and not being home. 

Marzia and Alba, two volunteers our age from Spain cooked lunch for all of us!  I had never even thought about what kind of food they made in Spain so it was fun to be exposed to that.  They had made a bruscetta (obviously called something else) with tomatoes and ham.  We also had fried eggplant slices which were sooo good!  I have never eaten so much eggplant/squash/zucchini before this summer and I love it.  Then they made this salsa-ish vegetable salad thing they called pesto (but wasn’t Italian pesto) that had tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, garlic, and other vegetables.  Then we had tortillas which are NOT like tortillas in America.  It was like a big quiche looking thing made of fried potatoes and eggs…it was a big circle thing at the end and they just cut it into pizza slices…super fascinating.  I will definitely be asking Marzia tomorrow exactly what they put in everything. 

Marzia and I didn’t have any visits to do during the afternoon so I went and worked with Jared who was going to a thing called a gouté which is just a gathering where there are treats and games and coffee.  The “activity” for the gouté was making chocolate chip cookies since that is an “American” thing.  We didn’t have any measuring cups and Jared had a recipe in English so it was in cups and tablespoons rather than the metric system.  Thus the measuring of ingredients consisted of lots of guesstimation.  After finishing the cookie dough, we tasted it and it was really gross…it tasted like flour and was super dry.  So we put in more water to try and thin it out.  That kind of helped, but not really.  Then I had the thought to make sure Jared had put in the salt.  And alas no!  We put the salt in and it was much better, but still not the best batch of cookies ever made…but that’s what you get with so much guesstimation I guess.  We cooked the cookies in this little oven and figured out that it should probably be at 200 degrees Celcius…but we weren’t positive.  After figuring out that you have to re-turn on the oven after every time you open the door, the cookies finally cooked and worked out fine but weren’t the best display of true chocolate chip cookies.  We had the cookies and these other cakes as well as drinks and just all sat and chatted.  This building we were in is owned by the Petits Freres and provides apartments for people that have previously been homeless and living on the street at a cheaper rent price.  Later in the afternoon, Jared played Scrabble with this lady that asks to play scrabble with him every week!  It is challenging for him in French and there are always words played that he doesn’t know.  I played a piano that was in the room.  It was a super bad sounding piano but oh well. 

Tonight was FHE!  The other mission companionship taught about charity, service, and forgiving.  Sister Rutman made Belgian waffles tonight!  She used a recipe that Jared had gotten from his mission in Belgium.  She also used these large sugar crystals that are an essential ingredient for true Belgian waffles and that can only be bought in Belgium.  They can just be eaten plain they are so good.  We played some group games afterward. The first one was called Assassin and consisted of one person standing in the middle of the circle trying to guess who IT was and IT was winking at people to kill them.  When you got killed, you just laid down on the floor.  The person in the middle would try to guess who IT was before they got around to killing everyone.  The second game we played is called “how’s yours?”  I’ve played this one at BYU but there was an added element of complicatedness when playing it in French.  In the game, there is someone in the middle and they go around asking everyone “what’s yours like” or how’s yours” and each person describes how “theirs” is (a predetermined object) and the person in the middle is trying to guess what the object is.  But in French, simply saying the phrase “It is” gives a clue to what the object is as you would use different words depending on if the word is masculine, feminine, singular, or plural.  So we decided to generically use the masculine form to describe things and use the masculine form of adjectives just to keep things as vague as possible.  It was funny sometimes though using a masculine form an adjective to describe something that was a feminine object just because it sounded so wrong.  In French, every noun is either masculine or feminine and doesn’t have anything to do with its function, but is seemingly random. 

After playing games, we went back upstairs and talked to the Rutmans for a while.  Jared and I acted as translators when there was a complicated phrase that the Rutmans didn’t know how to say in French or when they didn’t understand something a JA said.  The Rutmans showed us pictures of them when they were young.  Elder Rutman told us some stories of being a policeman that included wrestling in the middle of the road with a man that had a knife and exciting drunk driver episodes.  All the JAs kept asking him if his job was just like all of the American police tv shows and Elder Rutman would always respond no, that it wasn’t as glorified as all that and that there were lots of sad moments.  I don’t remember who it was or when it was, but someone asked me if high school in America was just like it is in the tv shows with the cheerleaders and football players everywhere…ha!  I responded ya…I guess so.  

No comments:

Post a Comment