Monday, August 6, 2012

30 July-1 August


30 juillet

One thing I’ve learned in France is that just because a store has something in the store, that doesn’t mean it’s available for purchase or that it won’t ring up an error at the cash register.  I’ve also learned that just because a restaurant is advertising something, there’s a 50% chance that they’ll actually have the item available for purchase because there are always things that are only available during certain hours of the day or that are just not available at all.  You’d think they would take unpurchasable products out of a store or off a menu, but no. 

Today started off with our weekly planning session with just Marzia and me since Veronique is on vacation.  Marzia was a bit of a mental wreck since she had apparently broken up with her boyfriend off 4 years over the weekend because she realized she didn’t love him anymore.  She has a new boyfriend which is a guy that she met on the beach here n Marseille.  She was super stressed about all the logistics of getting rid of the old and trying to make things work with the new…it stressed me out!  But we went and got food and bonded again over her favorite song Call Me Maybe that we she asks to listen to basically every day.  There was also drama between the people that Stephanie works with which is her the American, a Spanish girl, an Irish girl, and a Moroccan guy.  It’s just hard with so many cultural differences that people take offense to things that another person says that they didn’t see as being offensive.  Always an adventure!

That afternoon was an outing organized by the Petits Freres for all of the summer volunteers.  They took us all up to the tops of the mountains down the coast near Cassis and we had an incredible view of the sea and the beaches and the small villages in the mountains.  Then we went to a calanque that I had never been to that was beautiful!  This time we hiked up the mountain for an incredible lookout point.  Afterwards, we drove down to the beach of the Calanque and several people got in about halfway then got out.  Stephanie and I were the only ones that actually got in and swam.  We swam over to this huge rock and enjoyed the sun and cool water.  Then they drove us over to the Morgiou calanque and we drove on these windy mountain roads to get down to the shore where there were people playing petanque and old men sitting out on their fishing boats flirting with us.  It was a beautiful location with the white cliffs and clear blue water. 

They took us all out to eat to this Italian restaurant which ended up being the same one at the St Loup centre commercial that Marzia, Maxime, and I had gone to several weeks before.  They got us these formules (meals) that were 15 euros per person.  We got drinks and then went to the buffet which had a variety of cold salads and bread.  I noticed that all the French people took a roll with their salads (innately have to have bread with every meal) and all of the not French people didn’t.  We all ordered pizza or pasta.  I got a delicious shrimp fettucini pasta.  I’m pretty sure this restaurant was owned by an American because of all of the restaurant customs and mannerisms were American and food portions were super large.  And then because it was the week of my birthday, the restaurant said they would give me a cake.  But the cake would be for everyone!  That makes so much more sense than just giving a treat to the person whose birthday it is like it is in America.  But our little meal plan thing came with a dessert also, so I chose the fresh pineapple option and most other people got ice cream or mousse.  So we’re just all sitting there at the restaurant and then all of a sudden they turn out all of the lights in the restaurant and the song Gimme a man after midnight from Mamma Mia starts blaring over the restaurant sound system.  I was like this cannot be for my birthday thing…but everybody was like I thing this is for you!  So we’re all singing to the song and then the waitress ladies come over dancing and cheering bringing the cake.  They make our whole table of 15 people stand up and clap and sing along to the song while I stayed sitting down and they lit the cake in front of me and I blew out the three candles.  The waitress lady was so funny and kept telling everybody to sing and clap plus fort (louder).  The whole time, I was like this cannot really be happening—it was just so fun/funny.  And then afterwards we all ate the cake!  Which was a cherry ice cream cake!! It was soooo goooooooood.   Everything in France is just so natural tasting, not much of that artificial flavoring junk. 

We had to say goodbye to the Spain benevoles who were leaving the next day…it was sad. 


31 juillet

Happpppyyy birrrttthhhdddaaayyy jjjooossseeeepppphhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I didn’t have to be anywhere until 3:00!  It was quite quite lovely.  I did laundry, caught up on journal writing, and chillaxed.  At 3, I went to Mme Dernaucourt’s apartment.  Oh man, I love that lady so much.  She never ceases to make me laugh or to teach something new.  She told me stories of miraculous healings, of her family, of Israel, of Florence…and just never stops talking but it’s always so entertaining.  We had cassis (blackberry) ice cream.  Mme is still so so beautiful in her wheelchair with her classy dark red hair and her bright red lipstick.  Also, Jared was having a super stressful day and so I texted him jokes throughout the day to keep him sane.    

Then I went and visited Madame Alaguezian who I had never visited before.  She is something, that’s for sure.  She lives all by herself and has never married.  She lived with someone for 20 years, but he has passed on.  She is pretty young (meaning early 80s…not like mid 90s which is old).  She is in good health except for she has difficulty walking a lot.  She invited me in and immediately called me her petite Americaine and was so content to have me there…..oh my gosh my english is sooo bad!  I would never say the word content in English, but it is said all the time in French…She whipped the beautifully molded flan that she had made for me.  She also pulled out cookies and chocolate and water all for me.  She said she wouldn’t eat any of the cookies or chocolate because she didin’t want to grossir (get fatter).  She cut me this huuuuge piece of flan that was half of the entire circle of it.  I was praying that I would like the taste of it so that I could eat the whole thing.  The flavor was fine and was sweet…but oh man the texture and the feel of it in my mouth was unbearable.  It was a mix between and jello and animal fat….not pleasant.  I was praying that I would not gag as I kept forcing myself to eat it to make her happy.  I made it through 3/4ths of what she had given me and then just couldn’t do it anymore and told her I was done because I didn’t want to grossir either.  Mme Alaguezian is Armenian but has lived in France all of her life.  She doesn’t like any of her neighbors and doesn’t go farther than her immediate neighborhood because she doesn’t walk well.  She is very emotionally unstable and told me she had just been crying when I came and that some days she just cries and cries from loneliness.  Her apartment is immaculately clean.  She is so intelligent and knows about everything.  She reads so so so much!  She pulled out lots of her books to show me.  She showed me a French history book, a music encyclopedia, a way things work science book, a book about the cheese of France, a recipe book and other things.  She is a master French chef but doesn’t cook much anymore because she doesn’t want to grossir.  She told me about friends she had made through les petits frères and how glad she was for them.  She told me about the petits frères benevole that comes to see her throughout the year.  When it was time for me to leave, Mme filled a sack with the remaining cookies and chocolate for me to take with me to share with people.  She also gave me some of her headache medicine for me to give to Marzia (I had told Mme that Marzia wasn’t there because she was sick, but in reality she had just ditched me.)  Mme Alaguezian is such a kind soul and I’m excited to visit her again. 

As I was walking to the bus to go home, I get a phone call from a lady that works at petits frères and she asked me really odd questions about Marzia.  She asked me if Marzia was someone that I felt like I could trust and if she had done a good job in all of the visits we did.  Then she asked me if Marzia had ever not come to do visits when she was supposed to.  I told her about the one day that Marzia didn’t come at all because she had gotten food poisoning and then also about today how she had skipped out on the afternoon.  I had no idea why I was being asked all of these questions, but all I could do was just answer them honestly.  And then about 10 minutes later, I get a call from Marzia and she asks if we can meet up to talk.  Boy was I scared.  We met up and Marzia told me the whole story.  So she had asked the petits frères if she could stay for two more weeks and work for them (because of her whole bf drama) but marzia had had problems with the hotel because she was so messy and the hotel maids had gotten mad and reported the issues to the hotel director who had talked to les petits frères.  Also, Marzia told les petits frères that that day that she had gotten sick from food poisoning, she had met up with me later in the day for the afternoon visits which was not true.  So because of her cleanliness issues and because they weren’t sure if they could trust her, they told her she couldn’t extend her internship.  She asked me to lie for her if they ended up asking me about her sick day again…since the story I had told was different from her lie version.  I of course would never do that, but didn’t tell her so.  She updated me on her boy drama and she talked about how she was sad she had to leave les petits frères on a sour note since she had done so much good and had worked really hard for the past month.  I ran into Jared on the way home and he came back to my apartment to get something that Anastasia needed since he works with her.


1 August

I spent the morning relaxing and went to McDonalds to use the internet.  Sometimes I feel weird not having work all the time…but then I remember that I’m not going to have a summer break before school starts again in the fall and that this is my summer break so it’s okay to have some free mornings. 

Around noon, I went with Marzia and Jared to pick up my new work buddy Anna (but pronounced Anya) who is from Poland.  We found her pretty quickly and I was immediately impressed with how great her French was.  I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone from Poland so I didn’t know what to expect, but Anna is awesome.  I’m excited to get to know her better these next few weeks.  We got Anna her metro pass and she told me later that she had used a photo of her identical twin sister because she didn’t have one of her own.  All of their passport/official-y pictures have them not looking at the camera, but looking to the side with one ear fully exposed.  The happiness of this point in time was that Marzia heard back from her dad who had conceded to pay for her flight home to Rome the next day…and he said they would talk when she got back home…haha. 

We ate lunch at a boulangerie and then headed over to the CGD maison de retraite where Marzia and Anna visited Mme Gallet and went and visited Mme Gaillard in the hospital.  I feel much more at ease with Mme Gaillard since it’s my 3rd visit with her now.  I got her talking about the time she spent as a nurse and what she had and hadn’t liked about it.  It makes my day when someone’s eyes light up when I walk into the room to visit them…makes every hard time in my life worth it because it led me to this point here to be with her and comfort her.  We headed back to Cinq Avenues area after the visits and Marzia and Anna talked with this group of BYU students that is here right now doing sociological research and they needed to talk to young Europeans.  They had a byu girl that spoke Italian, so Marzia did her interview in Italian.  But none of them spoke French and Anna doesn’t really speak English and knows a tiny tiny bit of Italian.  Unfortunately I had to go meet up with people, or I would have stayed to help translate..but apparently they got by with the tiny bit of French that one guy knew and the little bit of English that Anna knew. 

I ran back home and changed then went and met Jared at Rond Point to go to the Calanques to meet up with the JAs that had been there all day.  Soeur Rutman drove us over to the start of the hiking trail and then Jared and I hiked in (it was the same calanque that we went to last week).  At one point in the hike, I slipped on a rock and fell down and stood back up with a bloody knee.  Jared swore he would not swim next to me for fear of sharks.  We met up with the JAs and they were all done swimming for the day but Jared and I jumped in with one of the JAs, Jacob.  The water was freezing again, but somehow was more bearable and maybe a bit less cold than last time.  We swam over to a different area of the calanque and Jared had his big goggles so we traded off looking at the fish and coral and seaweed down below.  It was kind of creepy actually to see what was way down there.  We swam over to this huge huge huge rock that went straight up.  We walked around and up it till we were basically at the top.  And I knew we were planning on jumping off it the whole time, and I should have just ran and do it.  But I looked down first and realized hooow high it wasssss.  Oh man it was scary.  And there were jutting rocks on the cliff below so I would have to be sure and jump out.  I made Jared wait for me to go before him because I knew if I was the only person left up on that rock I would never be able to jump.  I had to mentally prepare myself for about 2 minutes, and then I told Jared I was going to likely scream really loud when I jumped because that is just how I am.  So I kind of screamed at the sky to prep myself and then I jumped out and down and meanwhile let out this blood curdling high pitched squeal/scream thing.  I’m surprised the whole world didn’t here it.  And oh man, it was a long way down and my body just folded down down into the water when I reached it.  But luckily, I didn’t regret doing it at all.  After the epic jump, Jacob took us to this caves area where you had to hand crawl through the water and little rock arches to get to this little cavern sea shore area.  We went back to Marseille with all the JAs.  Oh man I am going to miss joking around and talking with these people!  

No comments:

Post a Comment