Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Day of Walking


27 avril
The weather here is still cloudy and rainy.  It's never super cold, but still cool enough to need pants and jackets.  I hope it gets warm soon, because I brought mostly summer clothes.  I'm getting quite sick of my two pairs of pants that I have to wear every other day.  

To start the day, we had our host mom's homemade bread for breakfast and then took 3 different trains and about 40 minutes to get to our class at 9 in the morning.  The class I am taking is French Civilization from the 1700s-present.  

After class it was freezing and so we got hot chocolate.  Then me, my roommate Emily, and our friend Macord just decided to start walking around and going wherever we felt.  We ended up walking for 9 hours and saw lots of Paris' famous sites.



Notre Dame

Point Zero--center point of Paris


Montmartre--brought back BYU stairs memories


Sacre Coeur basilica

This church is relatively new and was built in the late 1800s.  The inside was gorgeous also.


Looking out from Sacre Coeur

Roomies



Ma tarte aux framboises


Opera Garnier

Phantom of the Opera was written by Gaston Leroux about this  operas house, l'Opera Garnier


le Madeline

Place de la Concorde--where Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette were beheaded at the beginning of the French Revolution

le Grand Palais


Arc de Triomphe
 Around 9pm, we got hungry for dinner but quickly realized that everything was closed! So we had to settle for McDonalds where I got a McBaguette.

5 comments:

  1. where did you get those yummy looking tarts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day!!!! I always enjoy just walking and finding the surprises that come your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa! I love your blog! I am so excited to follow your it this summer! Your pictures are so awesome! Keep them coming:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got the tarts at a sandwich shop, but you can get them at bakeries and pastry shops which are everywhere. I'm glad you guys are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy smokes!!! I'm so jealous!! I'm so happy you are having the time of your life!!!

    ReplyDelete