Thursday, April 26, 2012

Tout le monde arrive

25 Avril
Everybody else in the Study Abroad program flew in today.  As the TA, I was there with Dr. Erickson to greet them when they came to the hotel and then give them a bunch of info and papers.  We also all made our Metro cards.  They are legit with our picture on them and everything.  They last for forever and we can just keep putting money on it.  I ran some errands for Dr. Erickson, including going to Carrefour (they are all over and always remind me of China!) to buy some pens and get some euro coins.  Everyone that came in was dead from traveling and from jetlag and so my friend Olivia and I that had come in the day before went out exploring.  We took the metro to Notre Dame and then just walked around and explored.  Notre Dame has always been one of my favorites.  Notre Dame in French is translated to Our Lady and so the church is dedicated to Mary.  I love the Gothic architecture and always have.  I'm sure I'll be back to visit many times in the next few weeks.


Looking up one of the pillars


Every building in Paris is just SO pretty!


The side of the church and the Seine




Next, Olivia and I walked around the Latin Quarter where there were lots of cool bookstores and papetries. 

The Sorbonne--a university in Paris that was founded in the 1200s! 




Electric car charging spot


Statue of the famous French essayist Montaigne



It's hard getting used to speaking French all the time--I mostly just don't talk as much because there are some things that I am unsure of how to say.  But I'll get better hopefully! I love speaking with the Parisians.  They are very helpful and willing to talk to me.  Several people have stopped to ask us for directions in French, and we never know what place they're talking about, but it makes me feel good that I can talk with them.  

We ran into another beautiful church on our walk! 














Right across the street was the Pantheon where a lot of famous French people are buried.  It cost to go inside, so we decided to save that for later.


View looking out from the Pantheon

This isn't the pantheon..but where the mayor if the 5th arrondissement lives.  Paris is divided into 17 or 18 arrondissements (districts).
Pretty Pantheon!
After the Pantheon, we went and saw the Luxembourg gardens which were gorgeous with lots of trees, flowers, and sculptures.  The palace of Luxembourg is also there. 


Apparently there is a replica of the statue of liberty and also marionette shows in these gardens, so I will definitely be back to explore more.


Luxembourg Palace




That night, our whole study abroad group went out to dinner.  We had grilled chicken and then I had a delicious Apple tart. 






After dinner, a group of us went to the Eiffel Tower to see it lit up at night! The Eiffel Tower never fails to disappoint.  It's a cliche tourist spot, but it is so because it is so stunning and magical, especially at night.



Every once in a while, it sparkles with blue lights.

Moi!

With the Seine river




Looking up the middle





3 comments:

  1. these pictures are beautiful! that camera is working great for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember going to Notre Dame Cathedral with you!! That was right after we had taken the subway to the Louvre, literally ran through the museum to see Miss Mona Lisa, ran back out, bought those black and white paintings from the man along the river, and then arrived way early before the rest of the group at Notre Dame.
    I love the "flying buttresses" on the cathedral! I love the name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep it sure is Robert! That was definitely a memorable day.

    ReplyDelete