Monday, June 11, 2012

Becoming a Gourmand

7 juin
Today I took my final for our classes and finished up all of my assignments for the two courses I've been taking on the study abroad.  I just have to write a research paper that is due in September and then I will have completed 6 credits toward my French major!  The final was an interview in French with our professor where we talked the set up of French government.  I spent the rest of the day buying groceries, repacking my things, and figuring out travel plans for the upcoming weeks.  
Love this ad about Orangina...who knew a price could be sexy?

 We had our final group dinner at a cafe in Old Nice.  I want to give lots of different kinds of seafood a chance while here in south France.  I ordered oysters...and those were no bueno...they were cold and slimy and chewy and tasted like the unbearably salty mediterranean sea water.  Oh well, now I know not to eat them again.  But I tried someone else's mussels and I liked those so I'll have to get those sometime.  Then I got a big piece of fish..in English it is a John Dory fish, but I don't remember what it was called in French.  I also tried my friend's foie gras.  It was in paté form.  Foie gras is a French delicacy and is either goose or duck liver.  Foie gras is a controversial dish for animal rights activists though because they usually force-feed the ducks or geese so that their liver will be a lot larger. I ate it with some bread and didn't dislike it as much as I thought I would.  But I will still be very content with my life if I don't have a chance to eat it again.  For dessert, I had white cheese with honey.  It basically tasted like yogurt and honey, super yummy!  I walked down the promenade along the beach and watched all the lights turn on as the sun went away.  Happy memory.  

No comments:

Post a Comment