Sunday, May 20, 2012

Molière play



17 mai

I started out the day by visiting the Holocaust memorial behind Notre Dame.  





Then I went to the Alma bridge to see this memorial that is above the tunnel where Princess Diana died.  I always thought this flame monument had been built for her but this monument was actually already here when she died.  It is a replica of the flame on the Statue of Liberty and is a symbol of the alliance between France and the USA.




Tonight I went and saw a play written by Molière called Amphitryon performed by the Comédie Francaise which is an acting troupe that has been around since the 17th century.  They are legendary and lived up to my expectations.  I had a difficult time understanding the dialogue since it was a more archaic type of speaking, but I am reading the play in English right now to help fill in some of the story gaps that I didn't get the first time around.  
  

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are going to performances while there in France! What connections you are able to make between history, entertainment, etc. So fun to read your thoughts!!!

    ReplyDelete