Monday, May 14, 2012

"Soirée" familiale

14 mai


Today Emily and I got to skip out on class to get things ready for our group FHE that took place at lunch time in front of the Eiffel Tower.  Everyone brought their picnic lunch and we brought drinks and desserts.  Dr. Erickson gave us 50 euros to spend on drinks/desserts so we went to town with lots of juice and lots of cookies.  





The whole group at the most iconic FHE ever.



I went on a walk around the Latin Quarter today and saw the Sorbonne as well as the Pantheon that I took a picture of here.  The Pantheon looks like a building that should be in Rome.  It is a memorial to all of the people that have died for France or for famous French people that have died.





"To the writers who died for France"



Lots of famous people are buried here including Voltaire, Rousseau, Victor Hugo, Louis Braille, Pierre & Marie Curie, Emile Zola, and many others.  This picture above is a statue of Voltaire and his tomb.



They had an extra spot just waiting for Macord.



Down in the crypt



This lovely square had a nice small town feel.  We treated ourselves to some delicious Amorino gelato.



Next, we went to this old Roman-looking ampitheatre where they used to have animal fights.  Lots of old men were playing petanque on the field.





Tonight we went with our roommate Julia to a Thai restaurant in the 13e arrondissement.  Julia is from Connecticut and stays with our same French family.  I got some delicious curry with shrimp and sticky rice.  



For dessert, I got some chocolate wafer rolls and some leechee ice cream.  The flavor of the ice cream reminded me of Indonesia...and I didn't like the flavor as much as I remember liking it.



It gets dark super late here! This is at 10:00pm at the Opera Bastille and it is still not very dark.   But it was pretty with all the lights on.



6 comments:

  1. I am loving all of your updates! So glad you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When will you ever have FHE at the Eifel Tower again! Way fun!
    How is your toe healing up?
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY MELISSA THIS IS RACHEL I REALLY REALLY REALLY AND SO ON MISSSSSSSSSSS YOOOOOOOU!!!!!!! OH AND BRING ME A PRESENT

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's got to be the best FHE ever. If you go to a Thai restaurant again, you should get Mango rice. It is really good. Even Daniel and Rebecca liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes my toe is getting better...just hopefully it doesn't get infected from something nasty from the metro. RACHEL!! Dude, I already bought you a present so chillax. I miss you too! Alison I actually did try some there but didn't really like it...maybe it's better in the real deal country :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is Opera Garnier, not Opera Bastille.

    ReplyDelete