Sunday, May 27, 2012

Photo Shoot & Jazz Concert

25 mai


I didn't take any pictures today! Crazy.  It's the first time that has ever happened since I've come to France.  But the reason that I didn't take any pictures is because I was in a photoshoot!  My friend Heather is a professional photographer and so she took pictures of me and Emily around Paris.  I pulled out the trench coat that I had bought here and put on cute vintagey clothes and had lots of fun!  We took pictures in the Shakespeare book store, on a carousel near the Eiffel tower, under a bridge, sitting at a cafe, and then in front of cool gates and doors on the streets of Paris.  We used some fun props such as a French newspaper, a lime green motor scooter, a map, an old camera, and a scarf.  Heather is currently editing the pictures, but I'll put them as soon as they are done!  Heather is an incredible photographer and so even though I am not the best model, I know they will turn out great.  


A fun/funny part of our day was when we rode the carousel at the base of the Eiffel tower.  It was one of those picturesque, can't believe this is actually real moments.   The funny part about it was that when we walked up to the guy to buy our tickets, he randomly asked us if we were religious.  Taken aback, we replied yes.  And then he asked if we were mormon and we said yes and asked him how he knew!  He said it's because of what we were wearing!  We were all wearing knee length skirts and lacey/vintagey blouses...so we're thinking we looked like 1800esque pioneer women to him...haha.  Or maybe it was because it was so weird that we were wearing skirts down to our knees in the warm weather.  Who knows.  After we rode the carousel, we got some overpriced ice cream at a stand by the Eiffel tower and ate it while sitting on the Seine under a bridge.


At the end of the day after we were done taking pictures, Heather took us to a grocery store by her house that has the hugest selection of chocolate bars!  I got some fun flavors such as peach, strawberry, and speculoos that I'll bring home for the family to try.


That night,  I went to an incredibly awesome jazz concert!  It was part of a jazz piano festival that was going on.  I saw Robert Glasper, a famous jazz pianist.  The quartet consisted of him, a bass, a drummer, and a saxophonist/electrical techno sound man.  It seriously was one of the best concerts I've ever been to!  All 4 of the guys were so dang dang good professionals.  They nicely featured all 4 of the musicians on different songs.  They also had a nice mix of traditional jazz and then some other songs that were more modern with techno sounds.  I was most impressed by the saxophone player and the pianist Robert Glasper.  The concert was about 2 hours long, and it felt way shorter than that to me.   


Getting home was a bit of an adventure because it was about midnight and the first train got cancelled, so I sat on the platform for about a half hour for the next one...a little bit creepy, but I made it home just fine.


This is the group: Robert Glasper Experiment



This video isn't the concert I went to, but just one I found on YouTube of the group.





No comments:

Post a Comment